What is 4K
Kabuhayan at Kaunlaran ng Kababayang Katutubo (4K) is a special program of the DA following the directives of the Former President Rodrigo Roa Duterte for an enhanced provision of assistance in the form of agricultural and fisheries related livelihood opportunities, investments through the provision of production and post-harvest machineries and equipment and various support services for the ICCs/IPs all over the country through targeted community needs-assessments. This Program will link the ICCs/IPs to credit facilities and crop insurance to ensure sustainability of the interventions. Moreover, capacity building in implementing livelihood and enterprise development programs and marketing assistance will be provided.
The Kabuhayan at Kaunlaran ng Kababayang Katutubo (4K) Program aims to develop the Ancestral Domains of the ICCs/IPs in order to improve its productivity by developing sustainable agricultural enterprises and profitability by increasing their income in consideration with their customs, traditions, values, beliefs and interests.
Specifically, it aims to achieve the following
- To capacitate the ICCs/IPs through community organizing, agricultural skills training and workshops to increase knowledge and productivity;
- To provide various agriculture and fishery assistance such as agriculture and fishery inputs, tools, machineries/equipment and facilities for production, post-harvest, processing and packaging to improve the economic condition of the ICCs/IPs in the country;
- To increase the number of ICCs/IPs farmers and fisherfolks with access to Department of Agriculture assets and services; and
- To improve the income of the ICCs/IPs through culturally responsive and environmentally sustainable livelihood activities.
Mission and Vision
Warrant and improve competitiveness of the IP farming community for increase productivity and income through agricultural- based enterprises and strong coordination, collaboration and cooperation of the IPs and other stakeholders.
ADs all over the country is envisioned to develop a competitive and self- sufficient ICC / IPs anchored on the appropriate and efficient utilization of its agricultural lands and resources through enterprising research and extension strategies, adaptable support services crops- livestock integration and public and private partnership.
The Social Preparation component of the 4K Program aims to strengthen the capacity of the ICCs/IPs partner-beneficiaries to sustainably able to manage their chosen agriculture livelihood and enterprises. The employment of the succeeding social preparation strategies, and conduct of social preparation activities are important in the consideration of the following:
1) for the Program to be familiar of the concrete conditions of the target ICCs/IPs;
2) ensuring that development interventions in the form of agriculture livelihood and enterprises in the ADs are based on the identified needs of the ICCs/IPs themselves;
3) providing the appropriate capacity development intervention to develop and/or enhance the technical capacity of the ICCs/IPs; and,
4) tap and mobilizing an enabling environment to assist the ICCs/IPs in their pursuit of own development in their area.
Production and Livelihood
The Production and Livelihood component of the Program entails the livelihood projects that would be given to the partner ICCs/IPs based on their identified needs. Technical assistance will be provided to ensure that the capability of partner ICCs/IPs in sustaining the livelihood packages provided. Machineries and equipment for pre- and post-production that will be used to improve farm practices and productivity are included in the package.
The 4K Project aims to generate more jobs within the community and improve agricultural productivity. Which in return provide sustainable agricultural development by means of community involvement that will be encouraged by the livelihood program.
Marketing and Enterprise Development
Corresponds to the program’s initiatives to help communities establish their own enterprises through establishing market linkages and providing technical assistance and logistic support.
Comprises of activities that are operational and preparatory in nature to ensure efficient and effective program implementation. It also includes monitoring and evaluation to draw relevant inputs to enhance practices and policies.